The time was 1931. The country was in one of the deepest recessions of all time. People were out of work. Crime was rampant. Bootleggers were busily selling their wares. In the midst of these trying times, a few people at the Flint Number Two Seventh-Day Adventist Church had a vision for their children. Certainly they were poor, physically poor, but spiritually rich. That spiritual heritage is what they wanted to pass on to their children. How could they best do this? They read in the Bible, their source of spiritual richness, that "All thy children shall be taught of the Lord." Those parents, our spiritual ancestors, wanted their children to learn the principles of the S.D.A. church, based on the Bible, along with the basic subjects. The students would thus be prepared for life in this world, as well as for eternity.
After much prayer and planning by those few members, the following year saw the beginning of a new school. The Michigan Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists sent H. T. Saulter to serve as Principal/Teacher of the Flint No.2 S.D.A. School. In ensuing years, many dedicated teachers followed.
During the twenty year period, from 1932 to 1952, the school's name varied from Flint No.2, to the North End, to the North Street SDA School.
Unfortunately, following this initial period, there was a hiatus in the school's continuity. During this gap, however, our children's spiritual legacy was not neglected. Many parents sacrificed to send their children across town to the Pasadena Street S.D.A. School. This situation eventually evolved into a consolidated school that was supported by the three S.D.A. Churches in the area. This occurred in the late 1960's.
The consolidated school first used the facilities of Woodside Church on Court Street. In 1972, the school moved to Linden Road, and was renamed "The Greater Flint Seventh-Day Adventist School."
The 'consolidated' period ended in 1975. While our school remained at Linden Road until 1977, our church had recently moved to its present location. It was felt that a school could be operated at this site, and the first classes began at Fairhaven in 1977.
In 1996, a modular building was purchased by the church, so that there would be adequate facilities to upgrade the school to the tenth grade, with a science lab. During this time, the students were taught by Mrs. Shermete Brown, Principal, and teacher of grades 4-6, and Mrs. Grace Ivey, teacher of grades K-3, and Mr. Willie Davis, teacher of grades 7-9.
This small school has succeeded far beyond the dreams of our forebears. This institution has helped produce a wealth of leaders in the church as well as in the secular community. Workers in the worldwide Seventh-Day Adventist Church have come from this school. This group includes Foreign Missionaries and local and General Conference Personnel. Medical personnel have first done their study here. Teachers and other educators learned their basic craft in this facility. Engineers and Scientists have also been nurtured in our school.
We now look to the future for our school. By God's grace, we intend to make it even better than it has been in the past.